5 reasons we heart walnutsNutrition
By pH health care professionals
Move over, peanuts! Walnuts are not only tasty, but incredibly healthy. Whether baked into brownies or sprinkled over a salad, these omega-3-rich nuts have earned their time in the spotlight. Research studies show there are many health benefits to be reaped from snacking on walnuts, including some significant gains for heart health.
Here are a few reasons we heart walnuts:
- Cholesterol. A study in the Journal of the American Heart Association compared high-carb/low-fat, high-fat/low-carb, and walnut-rich high-fat/low-carb diets, and found the walnut-rich diet had the most impact on cholesterol levels by decreasing the LDL (bad) cholesterol and increasing the beneficial HDL cholesterol. This is good news for the 28 percent of U.S. adults over the age of 40 who use lipid-lowering drugs – walnuts may be a good addition to your cholesterol-lowering gameplan.
- Heart health. Walnuts are rich in polyunsaturated fats (good fat!). Salmon and olive oil are also good sources of polyunsaturated fats. Polyunsaturated fats are known for helping to reduce bad cholesterol levels in the blood, lowering your risk for heart disease and stroke, the American Heart Association says. They also contribute the antioxidant vitamin E to your diet.
- Weight. Even though nuts are high in fats, you generally don’t have to worry about them making you gain weight. In fact, people who are trying to lose weight may benefit from adding walnuts to their diet. Research shows they make you feel more “full.”
- Male fertility. Walnuts may be good for male fertility as well, improving sperm quality in men who ate just over a half cup of walnuts a day in one study.
- Aging. Consuming high-antioxidant foods, including walnuts, may enhance cognitive and motor functioning in aging.
Be proactive and let your foods work for you, not against you! Walnuts are a perfect example of a snack that is easy, convenient, tasty and healthy. Good nutrition can help you enjoy a healthy life, and isn’t that what we all want?
Enjoy Your Healthy Life!
The pH professional health care team includes recognized experts from a variety of health care and related disciplines, including physicians, attorneys, nutritionists, nurses and certified fitness instructors. To learn more about the pH Health Care Team, click here.